Wednesday 23 January 2013

ISTD // Final Crit Presentation Design Boards

I began the project by looking at other artists work and decided I really like the aesthetics and illustrative style of the image on the right.  I also looked at way finding signs and symbols and recognised that most are just pictograms and that this was something I was interested in creating.


I took a trip to Cycle Point in Leeds, opposite the train station.  As Leeds is my chosen city for designing a cycle system around this really helped feed into the contextual side of my project - the information booklet.  


Here are some pre existing maps of Leeds which I think are really busy and need to be simplified.


The original colour scheme received bad feedback int the crit as it's a bit offensive on the eyes.


After experimenting further with colour, I chose the blue tones as they are quite calming and cool colours.


The application is a tool for tourists to find places of interest, information about the places and where to find them on the map.


The information booklet (a3 hotdog fold) encourages people to cycle, includes information about the environment and reducing your carbon footprint and tells you where you can hire bikes from in Leeds.


Below are my final designs, printed - not very well unfortunately but I ran out of time and have little funds.  You can get an overall idea of what the designs look like in real life.  The map has received good feedback from peers so I might print it larger.


No comments:

Post a Comment