Wednesday 30 January 2013

OUGD 504 Module Evaluation

 Throughout the design production module I have gained and furthered my skills in many area's including indesign, dreamweaver and photoshop.  The indesign software inductions with Mike were very helpful and came in extremely handy when creating my print and colour manuals, if they had been designed on illustrator then they would have taken me a lot longer.  Also the photoshop inductions have helped further my ability in the software that I’m not too confident in using.  While doing the research for the design for print module I feel that I learned a great amount, however didn’t get to do as much designing as I would have liked.  I found the Print Manual quite a hard design brief as we had to handle and process a lot of information as I’m more of an image maker than a communicator.  I am pleased with my outcomes from the brief however I now feel if I had more time then I could develop it further.  I enjoyed ordering paper samples from stockists like fedrigoni and moo.com.  Due to this brief I experimented a little with foiling and I love the effect so I will definitely carry this technique forward and use it in design briefs when necessary.
 Throughout the design for Web brief I feel that I have learned so much, having never touched dreamweaver before.  The design for web brief was definitely the one I struggled with the most however I now have a fully working four page website with rollover buttons that change colour which is something I never dreamed of doing.  I feel that I have learned so much from this brief however there is definitely room to learn more when it comes to dreamweaver.  I now feel confident that I could build my own website from scratch and it is something I am beginning to consider.  I think it’s a great idea to have our own personal websites to show to prospective employers or to studio’s we’d like to do a placement at and just to get our names out there and start networking more.  Power through the internet!  It’s easier than carrying a portfolio around too, and is always (nearly always) accessible and better than showing our blogs with all the development work and such.
 I am fairly pleased with the outcome of my ISTD brief - on yer bike!  At the beginning of the design for print & web brief I rushed into choosing the on yer bike brief and wasn’t very happy with it in the beginning but I just decided that I would design something that I knew I would enjoy designing.  I am happy with the map I created with all the icons and much preferred this brief to the others as I did more illustration work than in previous briefs, even though the map became a tad tedious after a while.  Having now finished and submitted all the work I feel that I could do more for this brief and apply my design work to more products.  I am also happy with the application part of this brief and think that it would work really well in real life.  
 I am now really looking forward to cracking on with the responsive module as there are briefs available that I am so much more interested in.  In the future I intend to start briefs earlier so it gives me time to try out different processes, I really want to get back in the print rooms and experiment with screen print, etching and lino cut and find out what other techniques and processes they offer.  I am also going to sign up for a fabric dying workshop, I really want to try and steer away from digitally produced designing for a while as I think this will be more suited to my practice and interests and also improve my work.  The studio is a much better place to work than my bedroom so I am definitely going to utilise it more from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment